Sunday, February 15, 2009

My Letter Makes the Bee....


Not one of my most controversial, but still an important issue......

Too much vacation
Sunday, Feb. 15, 2009

I am in complete agreement with your commentary about lengthy school breaks over winter holidays. With three elementary school children living in my house, I can attest to the fact that three weeks off at Christmas is too much!

This is a huge inconvenience for parents who depend on child care, and the children simply do not need this much vacation. The regression that takes place during the summer months is bad enough. Frankly, given our slipping educational standing among other developed countries, I am hard-pressed to understand why our children are not in school for all but a few weeks each year.

The Fresno Unified School District is charged with equipping our children to compete in the 21st century. Giving children longer vacations is not in keeping with that responsibility.

Jeffrey W. Eisinger

Fresno

1 Comments:

At 6:07 AM, Blogger toppspnn said...

I agree also and I also think that having uniforms in public schools should be mandatory. I know kids hate them but when youre a kid from a poor family you hate being picked on by kids wearing the latest fashions too. I say level the palying field so that they focus on their educations with less distraction on fashion statements.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home